Hi!
This is my second post on “Bend it like Beckham”. In the
last post, I wrote about the different attitudes of younger and older
generations of migrants. Today, I want to show how the film portrayed that the
younger generations are to some extent also influenced by their first culture
through the protagonist, Jess.
Jess goes against the norms of Sikh culture and decides to
join the girl’s football team. However, during training, she finds it
uncomfortable to wear shorts or undress freely in front of other girls. Here,
she shows her influence from the Sikh culture. She has been taught to hide her
scarred leg and not to expose her skin too much in front of other people.
Although Jess accepted much of the English values, she is
still part of the Sikh culture, as can be seen from her behaviour in those
situations. From Jess, I could see that most of the younger generation of
migrants are shaped by both their first and second cultures, even if they were
born outside their ethnic country of origin.
I want to hear your opinions. Please leave a comment and follow
up with my third post on “Bend it like Beckham”.
No comments:
Post a Comment